CRONE:
Creative Researcher Of New Experiences

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Raggedy Ann & Andy Day


Hello Everyone,
I don't live too far from Arcola, Illinois,birth place of Johnny Gruelle (1880-1938) a fine story teller-cartoonist-illustrator & author. So I felt a desire to join in on their Celebration of Raggedy Ann & Andy Day.

With her Red hair and triangle nose, Raggedy Ann was never just a doll to Mr Gruelle, she was a literary character that possessed trustworthiness, kindness and spunk. The ideal venue to remind Americans what their values were: in a time when traditional values were challenged by progress and social change.

First created in 1915 as a doll, followed in 1918, by the Book Raggedy Ann Stories. In 1920 Raggedy Andy was introduced, as her brother, with the sequel book Raggedy Andy Stories.

They have shared many adventures over the years, this sister and brother, and have been loved by countless children and adults. One of the biggest adventures for these simple little Rag Dolls was their induction into the National Toy Hall of Fame. As usual Ann went first and was inducted in 2002; Andy followed in 2008.

I knew my husband and I were meant for each other when, on our first date one cold day in October many years ago, he took me to the arcade where we played Skee ball, rode the Farris Wheel and just had a grand time. When Christmas came around and he gifted me with the pair you see above, I knew we were true soul mates.

So If your a Raggedy Fan like I am, give your dolls an extra hug today and if your soul mate ever bought you a pair - give him an extra hug or two as well.

Hugs,
Penny

1 comment:

Sinderella's Studio said...

I love this!!!! It is amazing how the soulmate thing works - and maybe we need a huge revival of Ann and Andy, as we are again a nation that needs reminded of values, trustworthiness and kindness!!!